SHAHZIA SIKANDER – SINGING SUNS
The exhibition of Shahzia Sikander at the UBS VIP lounge exhibition at Art Basel Miami Beach 2017 captured my attention: Shahzia Sikander is a Pakistani-American artist whose practice reimagines historical Indian and Persian miniature painting. Especially the use of mosaic and digital painting mediums is very interesting. Below, I present five of Shahzia’s art works which caught my attention.
1. Shahzia Sikander, Singing Suns, 2016
2. Shahzia Sikander, Portrait of the artist, 2016
3. Shahzia Sikander Vortex, 2016
4. Shahzia Sikander, A collaboration with The Fabric Workshop and Museum
The Illustrated Page (detail), 2005-06
5. Shahzia Sikander, Elusive Realities #1, 2000
A characteristic about Shahzia’s art which especially appeals to me is that her imagery crosses boundaries of geography, religion, and style, beautifully combining of traditional and contemporary practice. It is something I consider very unique.
Thanks for reading & enjoy the fair!
More on UBS Art Collection. My interview with Mary Rozell, head of UBS Art collection here.